For a PDF version of this page, please shoot me an email at: hello (at) joshashby (dot) com
I’m a quick and enthusiastic learner on new technologies and code bases and I’m passionate about continuous growth. I’m experienced with being in knowledge leadership roles. I am comfortable working collaboratively, remotely or on my own.
Comfortable Tools & Platforms: Git, Fossil-SCM, Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Heroku, AWS, Digital Ocean
- As a consultant and contractor, I’ve helped a number of teams refactor and architect large TypeScript/React and Elixir/Phoenix code bases to reduce operational costs, risk of mistakes, and increase developer speed and product alignment.
- I architected and developed an extensive in-house ETL framework in Ruby, that transformed data from a number of sources including Elasticsearch, Postgres, Google Sheets, External APIs and Redis into a data lake stored in AWS Redshift.
- I’ve developed a browser extension for Chrome which makes a given tab to use a virtual cookie store for a marketing and customer success company to manage multiple client accounts at once. It also provides a number of additional tools for generating links with pre-set UTM parameters as well as storing and copying to the clipboard custom text shortcuts.
- I’ve developed a number of browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome, notably one that simplifies the process of scraping data from a website into CSV and JSON formats without needing complex pipelines. Website: https://slothby.club/broom
Lifespark, LLC - Remote/St. Louis Park, MN (June 2022 — Present)
Staff Data Engineer
Technologies: Python, Dagster, dbt, Snowflake, CUE/Cloudformation, AWS, Bash, TypeScript/ReactJS/React Native, Postgres
- Maintaining and implementing new features in a data pipeline using Dagster, dbt
- Managing DevOps on AWS and Heroku infrastructure with CUE and Cloudformation
- Maintained and implemented new features in a React Native mobile application
- Made use of GraphQL to implement and communicate with a variety of API’s
- Built out an internal administrative panel using React
Subatomic Agency - Remote/Denver, CO (January 2021 — May 2022)
Senior Software Engineer
Technologies: Elixir/Phoenix, TypeScript/ReactJS, Python/Django, Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, Terraform, AWS, Bash
- Built and maintained a number of Elixir/Phoenix projects, including greenfield and existing ones
- Maintained and implemented new features in React projects
- Made use of JSON:API and GraphQL for a variety of API’s
- Built out administrative panels for many of the API’s using Phoenix
- Managed DevOps on AWS and Heroku infrastructure with Terraform
- Mentored developers on TypeScript/ReactJS and Elixir/Phoenix paradigms and approaches
Tumbler Lock - Remote/Longmont, CO (August 2019 — December 2020)
Software Engineer, Contractor
Technologies: Ruby/Ruby on Rails, TypeScript, ReactJS, Python, Flask, Postgres, Redis, Terraform, AWS, Bash
- Built a React/TypeScript Browser Extension with a API built with Python 3 and Flask
- Migrated and modernized a PHP 5/Drupal project to Ruby on Rails 6
- Managed DevOps on AWS stacks with Terraform
Singularity Interactive - Boulder, CO (April 2018 — August 2019)
Senior Software Engineer, Backend Tech Lead, Chief Architect
Technologies: NodeJS, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Next.JS/ReactJS, AWS Kinesis/Lambda/S3/Beanstalk
- Architected a NodeJS API solution, storing data in Elasticsearch and PostgreSQL, to facilitate survey activities at colleges, report on the survey results and enable discovering campuses for expansion
- Mentored junior developers and new hires on best practices, problem solving approaches and code review strategies
Gloo - Boulder, CO (May 2014 — April 2018)
Software Engineer, Data/ETL Engineer
Technologies: Ruby, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL/AWS Redshift, Ruby on Rails, Kafka, AWS SNS/SQS
- Principle engineer of a Ruby based ETL which maintains a Star-Schema normalized data warehouse that account managers and leadership use to report on customer engagement and platform health
- Implemented a data ingest API in Java, supported by AWS SNS/SQS and later Apache Kafka
- Worked with the frontend teams to contribute bug fixes to Angular 1.6, Android, and iOS apps
- Supported the backend team’s Ruby on Rails application
Sparkfun Electronics - Niwot, CO (Summers of 2012, 2013) - Software Developer Intern
Colorado State University - Fort Collins, CO (August 2012 — May 2015)
- Studied Electrical Computer Engineering
- Worked on electrical and software projects within the CSU Formula-SAE race team
I have a lot of side projects in a variety of languages and for a variety of purposes, many of which are open sourced on my Github. Here’s a sampling of my prouder projects:
Broom - A Chrome and Firefox browser extension for scraping websites with an easy to use interface.
Technologies Svelte, TypeScript, TailwindCSS, Vite.js
Raton - An open source RSS Feed Aggregator bundled into a Firefox browser extension.
Technologies Svelte, TypeScript, TailwindCSS, Vite.js
These projects are closed for regisitration but are open sourced:
https://transientbug.ninja - Open source bookmarking service with a supporting browser extension. Crawls a bookmark to create a local “archive” copy.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails 7, Stimulus.JS 2, Tailwind CSS, TypeScript
https://bones.isin.space - Open source Fossil-SCM hosting service
Technologies: Roda, Sequel, SQLite, Fossil, Tailwind CSS, Alpine.JS
https://pleasedonot.rob.fish - Open source Image/Gif/Video host. Uses ffmpeg and VIPS to optimize and create a variety of formats from the upload.
Technologies: Roda, Sequel, Shrine, SQLite, Ffmpeg, VIPS, Tailwind CSS, Alpine.JS/Stimulus.JS