kilo editor and is intended as a learning experiment into VT100 commands as well as more “system” programming using Swift.
Like I am with programming languages, I’ve also always been facinated by TUI
based text editors and when I stumbled across
gram, a Zig port of
kilo I was hooked
and just knew that one day I’d make my own text editor. When I later found
this wonderful tutorial
from Paige that breaks down building
the groundup, I just had to get started.
AnglerFrame’s top priority is to be a sandbox for learning about topics such as VT100 commands, raw-mode terminals and TUI implementations and syscalls from Swift. I don’t have a ton of experience with any of these, let alone in Swift, so having an established and somewhat guided introduction has already been a wonderful adventure.
Notable differences from
I’ve spent an evening hour or so a day for the last week working on AnglerFrame
and following along with the fantastic
tutorial for building
kilo from the ground up, and have made it
about halfway through “Chapter 4” which is the first chapter to really pick up
the pace with the “text editor” bits. Up to this point (Chapters 1-3), we’ve
been concerned with laying down the groundwork for building a UI using VT100
commands and doing tasks like moving the cursor around the screen and handling
interacting with the terminal device in a clean fashion. Chapter 4 concerns
itself with making a text viewer and really brings out the quirks in human
language as we start to dive into handling displaying text and moving a cursor
around it in a meaningful way.
At this point I’ve already implemented a few features that take a departure
from the standard
kilo, as well as having a fairly different take on the code
layout. I’ve gotten UTF-8 displaying without issue thanks to Swift (although
I’m sure I’ve got a few length bugs and other issues that’ll surface as I work
on “Chapter 5” which implements text-editing) and I’ve made the cursor behave
more similar to Vim (more on this below) and I’ve got line numbers in a